To learn a bit about how a trial works, today we will read through the case at http://lawrelatededucation.org/images/stories/phocadownload/mock-trials/Elementary_Mock_Trial-State_v_Gold-E-Locks.pdf
You could pick up a copy from me.
This is NOT the case we will be preparing, but is a prepared script of a "fun" case. Read through it, watching for the
* Opening statements by both attorneys: What sorts of things do they say to start building their cases?
* Swearing in of witnesses: In mock trial the bailiff swears in witnesses, and they raise their hands, not their paws. : )
* Direct examination: How are questions asked during a direct examination different from questions asked during a cross examination?
* Cross Examination: How are questions asked during a direct examination different from questions asked during a cross examination?
* Objections: What sorts of objections do the attorneys make during this trial?
* Closing Argument: No closing arguments are given here, but if you would like to be an attorney on our case, write a closing argument for either the defense or the prosecution on this case.